Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Open Mic

I have tics... not the little black bugs that live in the water, those are spelled T-I-C-K. The tic I'm talking about is spelled T-I-C. A tic is an involentary, sudden, rapid, recurrent, stereotyped, motor or vocal involvement. In other words a tic is a movement or sound that the body makes that can not be controled. I have tics because I have Tourette's Syndrome, a very misunderstood and misdiagnosed disorder. Most people think that Tourette's is just about swaering, but in reality it's not. Tics can be something as small as the blink of an eye to something as complex as throwing yor hands down while stomping your right foot and making the t sound. Trying to hold it in is liek trying to put a cap on a running hose. But eventually the hose will either have to break or will crack at the edges. Even though it cause a lot of physical effort, like trying not to blink, even though it makes it very difficult for me to pay attention, and even though I know that some people will be okay with my tourette's I hold it in. I hold it in because I find it embarrasing that I have to kiss dogs on their forheads, embarasing that I shake my whole body, and afraid because I know that there are still some people who are out there, who eill not understand and accept me. The will say to me "O well I've never noticed it before so it must not be a very bad case" or "Oh well why don't you just stop." to me that is like telling somebody who needs a wheelchair to move around " Hey just get up and walk". It just soesn't work that way. Now some of you, even right now, may be saying to yourselves, "Oh well I've never seen him act like this before, so he must not really have it." Well let me tell you, I do have it. I am only being more ticy right now because I feel uncomfortable. And that makes my tourettes worse. Let me just say one more thing, and I know that i am not just saying this for myself but for the thousands of people who stand behind me that also suffer from tourette's, and the millions out there that have any sort of mentall, physical, or emotional  Handicap, even thought I do not act or function like you do, that doesn't mean that i don't feel emotionally like you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment